Making decisions for you or a loved one about a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) means taking a ton of factors into consideration. Finances, location, amenities, facilities, cleanliness, and involvement of care are just a few. Luckily there are a few extra steps that can help make the decision-making process a little easier.
Know what to look for
Visiting a potential home before you choose is a no-brainer—but knowing what to look for when you get there is a critical first step to a happy stay. Most facilities have a guest suite for visitors to stay overnight, but even if they don’t it’s important to arrange visits at different times of the day to get a full picture of how they operate. Once you’re there pay attention to a few key aspects.
- Cleanliness and upkeep are absolutely critical for a happy stay. If the facilities look a little rundown, ask about renovation plans.
- Meet other residents to learn firsthand what the day-to-day is like. Make sure their concerns are met and they enjoy spending time there.
- Find out what healthcare services are available so you can ensure a healthy stay.
- Try the meals to get a sense of the food quality. Find out when and where you’ll have access to meals or snacks, and any options that exist nearby.
- Find out your transportation options so you never have to worry about getting where you need to go. Don’t forget to ask about fees or schedules, or delivery options for things like groceries.
Consider your needs
What makes you feel whole? Whether it’s art, music, gardening, or cooking, make sure you or your retiree can do the things that make you happy. Even if the community itself doesn’t provide for your needs, see if there is somewhere you can access nearby. Is there a pet in your life? Make sure the facility can accommodate them. Considering your personal interests is critical to living a fulfilling retirement, so be diligent about maintaining your ability to pursue them.
Find a great partner
With so much to consider, a trusted partner can help you make a great decision. myLifeSite is a great place to start. They help you compare different facilities across a number of different categories—from housing options and amenities to monthly fees and Medicare acceptance. Their custom financial calculator can help you get a better understanding of the implications of moving into a retirement community.
And they have a library of resources like videos, guides, and easy-to-understand explanations of the industry. Whether you want to know what’s available in your area or more details about what to look for in a quality residency—myLifeSite can get you up to speed on all things CCRC.
Choosing the right place to live out your retirement can feel daunting—but you don’t have to go it alone. Find out how myLifeSite can help you make the best decision for you or your retiree.